So classes are starting to get busy....(hopefully I can pawn this site off to one of the other guys in the dorm to keep up to date). I guess we can blame the delay on Ike for coming through and making last weekend completely unproductive. Anyway, as of late Friday night (or early this morning) the head is out of the car! Now begins the process of cleaning and deciding whether or not to pull the block. I will leave you to look through the pictures of the attached album for the details of the process, be sure to go through them in order and read the comments. So keep checking and if it seems like there is too long of a time when there is not an update gripe at us and we will put something up as to what is going on.
Not a lot to report since last time. We replaced the radiator hose, but decided that the coolant is obviously getting into the engine (since it was pressurized to the point it blew out the hose) so to prevent further damage nothing is happening until the new gaskets are in place and we have made sure the heads are still ok. The gaskets should come in by Monday, but since it will be a pretty big job to change and everything it may not get done till the following weekend at the earliest. Tear-down is still in effect, removing more of the a/c components along with other unnecessary items. Today with most people busy we only got the condenser taken out and some more progress toward removing the dash to get to the dead weight components underneath. This coming week if any work is done on the car it will be to finish removing the a/c parts and get the dash off. Also, we would like to produce some sort of brochure / pamphlet to advertise the project and try to get monetary support for the safety equipment and registration fees for competition. Things you could donate toward the project if you are interested include: wheels, tires, brakes, a 6 point roll cage (even just the design), money (of course), race seats, six point harness, race suits, helmets, and fire extinguishers just to name a few items. Just send me a message, or make a comment if you would like to help out!
Today we got the key in from the locksmith and despite looking extremely simple (pictures to come) it actually worked! So since we were now able to steer we found a good spot to drive it off the trailer minus ramps since the ones available didn't work but it wasn't too far of a drop off the trailer. So a select few got a chance to take it for a spin (those that knew how to drive a standard) and upon pulling up to show off to the guys from the floor that came outside to look at it, a radiator hose blew. Which was perfect timing since Ryan Merrick was behind the wheel revving the engine for the crowd when it blew with a big bang and smoke rolled out from under the hood when the coolant hit the block. If only we could have captured it on video! So now along with gaskets we will be needing a new hose, which is no big deal but again it is undrivable. :( Hopefully by this coming weekend we can get some video of the car so you can see and hear it!
Despite not having the keys we were able to get the car started today, unlike our previous attempt earlier in the week after we installed the new battery. Having gutted the steering column down and removed the electrical switch from behind the ignition cylinder, we were surprised when nothing happened earlier in the week when we tried to start it. This is because we were so focused on the ignition switch to remember that the clutch needs to be pressed down in order for the engine to start, since there is a small switch in the linkage. So it was a good day today, but since we are still waiting on the locksmith to make a key from the hatch lock we cannot drive the car because the steering wheel is still locked. So hopefully by Tuesday (since Monday is a holiday) we can have the car off the trailer and see how it drives; if the tires will hold air. So everyone's excited about the project and look forward to tearing into the engine to replace the head gaskets and see what else we find. But yes it does run and sounds great (at least to the guys that have been tearing it apart the last week) it just smokes a bit which was to be expected since the previous owner told us that it had a bad head gasket.
This weekend our project car was towed along with the trailer it was on. Luckily, because the storage lot was trying to charge for both the trailer and the car I did some research and have found that the towing company operating with the storage lot does not have current insurance and therefore cannot legally tow anything.