Motortopia: Where your passion parks

Motortopia: Where your passion parks.

Why Join Motortopia? So you can post comments on... Forums! Photos! Vehicles! Garages! Journals! Events!

  1. cars
  2. bikes
  3. boats
  4. planes

Cars > awiilyd’s Garage > Blog

 

awiilyd’s Profile Photo

awiilyd

M –34
Laramie, Wyoming
United States

 
 

Blog Categories

Hod Rod Fridge!!

By awiilyd

Not really car related, but paint and body related. Here is a picture of my keg fridge. I got it a few years back from a lady who was selling it after her husband had past. I bought it with the keg conversion, but I have since replaced all the hardware. When I got it, it was white. My roommate at the time was going to WyoTech and he took in for the flame job. He did a really good job for his first time. There are a couple small mistakes, but noone notices unless I point them out. I may have never notice had he not pointed them to me. Gets lots of comments from our guests. I bought it for $50, plus another $100 for the updated hardware. I was offered $400 for it once, couldn't sell it 'cause it would cost me that much to replace it, and you just don't see many roundtop fridges still running. I should know, I'm an appliance technician. Hopefully I can keep it running for years to come. Thanks for looking!!

Final update! New Boat Floor!

By awiilyd

Filed under: /blogs/browse/t/vehicle/v//p

My boat floor is in 3 sections, fixed outer sections and the removable center section covering the bilge and mechanical stuff. I knew the removable center section of the boat floor was soft and was hoping to just replace that. After pulling the carpet back, though, I found a few questionable spots, so I started to cut out the soft spots and found the entire floor is rotten. Underneath the side floors, instead of crossbracing, they filled it with expandable foam, that's why I couldn't tell the sides were rotten. Even though it was rotten it was supported by all this foam. Unfortunately the foam soaked up all of the water that seeped under the floor and helped speed up the water damage.
I replaced the floor from the dash back. I left the bow cause it was just too much work and it doesn't get much weight put on it. After cutting out the original floor and removing all the foam, had to wait a few days for it to completly dry out. I had to cut, form and fiberglass in crossbraces 'cause I wasn't about to fill it with foam again. After the crossbraces were in, obviuosly the next step is the actual floor. I used fiberglass resin to seal the bottom, then screwed it to the crossbraces and fiberglassed the whole thing to the boat. I put on an extra layer around the outer edges. I even sprayed a coat of sealer to be safe. It is WAY stronger than before, it doesn't seem to rattle or make as much noise when bouncing across the lake.
Had my local upholsterer put in the carpet. He is a former WyoTech teacher, so he really knows his stuff. He covered up all my mistakes and made it look really good.
Without the original holes, I had a little freedom when assembling some things. I put in new hinges for the engine cover. I had to modify the viewers seat base 'cause the second battery sits underneath it a little.
While I had the whole mess apart, I also added a depth finder, a dual battery switch, resealed everything attached to the transom, had to relocate the fire extinguisher.
I originally had the sub mounted to an open air frame under the bow. I made an actual box for it, sealed and carpeted with the same as the floor.
We had plans for the 4th of July, I was working on it everynight after work for hours to get it ready. We finished it at 11:00 the night before we left. When we got to the lake, we tried to fire it up, had to crank it for a minute cause I had replaced the fuel filter. My starting battery came with the boat, I don't know how old it was, but it died. We had to start it with the deep cycle battery. When it fired it started squeaking, I realized I had forgot to hook the water supply hose to the water pump. You really can't run it without water, so the pump impellor burnt up. Luckly the marina had a replacement. So I only had a couple problems, but we had a great time once we got going.

updates

By awiilyd

Filed under: /blogs/browse/t/vehicle/v//p

Finally getting a little progress made on my car. Just installed an Autometer DPIC (digital performance information center.) It tells 1/4 mile times, 0-60, 60-0, lateral g's, & h.p. Haven't got to use it much yet, but once I get some number's I'll be sure to post them. Also just put in the Eibach Pro-Damper struts to go with the Pro-Kit springs I had installed a while ago. Just got it aligned and new tires, should handle better now. If it would stop snowing I would wash and wax it and post some pictures. Also corrected the antenna adapter for the radio, the original installer didn't put the amplified antenna adapter in so I never could listen to the radio. It was never really an issue 'cause I only listened to CD's. But I just got an MP3 player, so I had to add an adapter so I could listen to that in the car as well. I'm liking that!! 8 GB means about 1500 cd quality songs, that's roughly 100 hours of music!! Also added a 3 farad capacitor to help the amp and alternator. It was a little overkill, but if I ever upgrade it'll handle it. Makes a little more boom in the trunk.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress, if there happens to be any more. I'm 'bout ready to start riding the bike, and I need to uncover the boat and start getting that ready for summer, so the car might get put on hold again.

Thanks for checking it out!!!
Download Drive Magazine Now!
 

Cars > awiilyd’s Garage > Blog

Print your passion at Motortopia.com (http://www.motortopia.com)