Feb 27, 2010 | Views: 465
Filed under: 2004 Ford Ranger (Truck Norris)
Today I got around to crossing a few items off the list. First up was to install the audio components I had ordered which included a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 head unit and 2 pair (one for the front doors, one for the rears) of Pioneer TS-A6882R 6x8s. I never want to have to take those rear door panels off again, though (I stabbed my hand several times trying to get the clips out). I decided against an amp; for now, at least... This Kenwood model comes with Bluetooth so I routed the mic up around to the driver's visor, so it's out of the way but I can drop the visor down to get better range than I would if I had mounted it on the steering column or some place similar.
I got my Uniden PRO 510XL CB in but my Wilson 'Little Wil' antenna was "lost in transit" so I have to wait for the claim to run it's course, which could be a week. I initially wanted to go with a Cobra 29 Classic & Wilson 1000 but decided that this smaller option would work better in the limited space of the Ranger cabin.
I pulled the 'Oh ****' handle and mounted my 3D Maglite on the A-pillar, which just about wraps up the interior mods for the day.
Outside I just pulled the deer whistles off the bumper and removed the front plate, but the plate bracket is stuck for the time being (the bolts are stripped out) so I'll have to get around and cut them out from behind or just find something else to mount to it. I did stop by the NASCAR shop while we were in town but they were out of 14 plates.
I was unable to find a way to mount my fishing rods to the underside of the fiberglass bed cover so I picked up an O'neil suspension system that just mounts to the bed cleats and hods the rods in place.
Lastly, I bumped the tire pressure up from 30 to 35psi. For the first two weeks I've been frustrated as tanks have averaged 18.4, 18.8 & 18.94 for the first few fill-ups in mixed driving. I couldn't break 19MPG. Yesterday I finally got 19.45 (!), but now I want in the 20s... This slight change in pressure shouldn't affect handling much, if any, so we'll see if I get any kind of increase out of it.
That's about it for now, but I keep adding to the checklist daily so it probably won't be long before my next update!
Permanent Link to this Blog Post: