Anicrow’s Blog Posts 1 – 2 of 2
The story behind the car...
Dec 13, 2008 | Views: 345
Filed under: 1987 Toyota Supra (Tiffany)
- 6 photos
When I was 14, I was helping my father plow snow in New Jersey. He told me to take a peer in a customers garage. I caught my first glimpse of this car sitting there... What I thought was a joke at the time my dad said if I played my cards right the car would one day be in my hands.
Well, in late June of 07 (4 years later) that line became a reality. The original owner of the car had become to old to drive, and myself/my dad where the only people he trusted the car with. I purchased the car for 1,500 with 57k Miles on the clock. Spent all summer driving/refreshing it in NJ. Which is when I bought the Tint, Wheels/tires and removed the original pinstriping. (As well as detailed/cleaned the exterior, interior and engine bay). There was a small patch of Rust on the Passenger front fender, which I had a coworker fix.
After the car was in a more modern/sustainable condition I drove it 2,500 miles from NJ to Sturgis (South Dakota) for bike week, then home to Colorado. While in Colorado, I maintained and drove the car almost daily (Weather/street conditions permitting). The only mods I had done where a Cold Air intake (Which made a nice difference since we're a mile high). Meanwhile I was saving money for the swap.
Unfortunately in may, after a long drive, the car over heated. I tried to limp it home, but she came to a stop a little less than a mile from my house (Figures...)
After that, an aquaintance offered to help me do the swap out of his house for a little cash. (He has a lot more room than me). I couldn't refuse that offer and had the car towed there ASAP... We immediately removed the old 7M-GE And began to diagnose just how bad it was.. (Scary bad...)
After that, I ordered my first 1JZ-GTE from Got-JDM.com which was in horrible condition. They had horrible customer service when I tried to contact them about it, which ended up in a legal battle between them and Wells fargo. Ultimately I was found correct in the estimated 3,600 dollars worth of damage and they picked up their engine/refunded my money.
As the car sits now, I'm waiting for a few parts to get in and then I can begin putting her back together.. Just in time for the snow season... I will update with progress/info as things start rolling again.
I have to say, that this car has changed my life more than I could have ever expected. Owning it has been a rocky and rough road, but well worth it. As long as it's viable and in one piece I will never let her go for any amount of cash. I can only hope that other people enjoy her and the work I put into her as much as me...
Permanent Link to this Blog Post: