Celebrating 100 Years of Chevrolet

August 16th, 2011 by GoldenGirl

Just a few short years ago, it wasn’t certain that General Motors or Chevrolet would be around to celebrate their centennial. Luckily for all of us (in so many ways!), this is the year that Chevrolet is celebrating one hundred years of production.

There are many activities surrounding this anniversary; for example, local GM dealerships are having parties or open houses, and NASCAR and other racing venues are advertising and celebrating with special events and paint schemes on their sponsored race cars.

One fun way that GM is celebrating is the online contest to select the best Chevy ever made. They have created a dedicated website you can visit to look at selected Chevrolets from the past century and vote on your choices for best Chevy overall. The contest is being done in elimination rounds and the second round starts on August 16th.

It’s hard to narrow down the choices to a select few from so many years of design and technology. A few of the losers in the first round are arguably still winners. The 1932 Deluxe Roadster, the 2010 Camaro and the ’64 Malibu are out. So are the 1969 K Blazer and the 2011 Volt. Did you know that Chevrolet made a convertible Blazer in ’69? A brief overview of the cars that were voted out remains on the site so you can find some interesting information about models you may not know.

Left in the running are some time-tested favorites from many decades. The 1950s selections include the 1953 Corvette and the 1957 Bel Air. A 1960 Corvette Stingray and the 1969 Camaro are still in the contest. The only 70s era choice is the 1970 Chevelle SS.

Take a look at the contest to see if your favorite is still in the running. Which do you think will be voted in as best Chevy from the last 100 years? I’m torn between the ’57 Bel Air and the ’69 Camaro. But then again, a ‘60 Stingray is always a winner….Is there a Chevrolet missing from the contest that you would have included? How could they leave out the Monte Carlo? And no station wagons?

Regardless of the outcome of this contest, it is a good thing that the General is still around and our beloved bow-ties aren’t joining the growing ranks of orphan cars. Here’s to another 100 years!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Celebrating 100 Years of Chevrolet”

1. alwaysakid says:

Even though the ’57 Chevy is more popular than the ’55, I think the ’55 is much more important because it debuted the first Chevy V-8 engine.
    But my all-time favorite Chevy would have to be the 1966-67 Chevy II or Nova. It was small and nimble, but could seat six. It was quick and economical with the six-cylinder (even more economical than some four-cylinder cars I’ve owned), but had enough room under the hood for a V-8 if power was the priority. It was just such a good-looking car that was extremely versatile. I miss mine.

2. GoldenGirl says:

The Chevy II and the Nova – how true!! Super fast little cars that sold well for GM.

3. Balboa777 says:

Ya, i miss my 62, congragulations chevrolet on your 100 year and i know every1 agrees with me when i say i hope u hav another great 100 years

4. Chevy has had so many great cars it’s hard to choose. I guess it would depend on one’s budget. From the Corvette to the Nova.
    I have owned a 1970 Chevy Nova, a 1971 Chevelle SS 454, (that was awesome but drank the fuel.) I also had a 70 Camaro (but only because I could’t find a nice 69 at the time). I have always admired the 55 to 57 Chevys as well. After Smokey & the Bandit I switched to Pontiac. Well time to check out the website and cast my vote. I may check back with my choice.

5. Looks like I will have to wait till round 2 to vote. I would have choose the 70 Chevelle SS from the choices left. My prediction is that the 57 Chevy will win. Which would be a good choice as well.

6. I miss my 78 Monte Carlo Chevrolet is the best in my opinion

7. JerryandMary says:

Wow, what a question to ponder. I could never settle on just one Chevrolet but my thoughts run like this: I love the Corvette, it has a body style that makes me feel great. The early Camaro’s are rich with lines that can make a man drool. The Chevrolet trucks (pre wind wing) are the trucks that built America and I just love them. The 57 Chevrolet Belair was the most sought after ride when I was a teenager and I still love them today. Shoot I guess this reminiscing could go on for ever. I do love Chevrolets and they are as American as apple pie.

Thanks for the article,

Jerry

8. CorvairJim says:

Well of course my vote would have gone to the ’66 Corvair Corsa as a great all-around sports coupe that was usable in day-to-day driving but capable of handilng a family of 4 just as capably as an autocross course. That car doesn’t sem to be among the remaining choices, which just goes to show how short-sightes people can be… Or is it just showing my personal prejudice? :D

I assume the actual contest is on the Chevrolet corporate page and I haven’t checked it out yet. Of the cars mentioned above, I’d have to go with the ’57 Bel Air because of it’s status as an American icon, but of anything available today it would have to be the current Corvete ZR1. It’s a World-Class sports car, easily capable of over 200 MPH straight out of the box at a price less than half of any other car of similar performance

9. My fav chevy would have to be the 55 bel-air hardtop and the 92 454SS pickup truck.

10. Osinn11 says:

What the ’64 Chevelle Malibu is out? Booooooo! That would have been my first choice. Afterall it was the first production model Malibu.

Just a wild guess but I’m going to say it will go to one of the “Tri-fives”. As far as Chevy goes, I think they have to be the most represented cars at almost any car show around.

11. GoldenGirl says:

Just a quick update…for round three they put the 57 Bel Air up against the 69 Camaro. Wrong, wrong, wrong! I still think one of these will win but it should have been in the final round that they went head to head.

12. Hollow says:

thats funny because i was deciding between those two on which was my favorite chevrolet of all time. in a very close decision i have to go with the 69 camaro.

13. chevy66babe says:

Of course, I’d have to say 1966 or Babe will run me over. LOL. But I also liked the 1955, the car I learned to drive on and my Dad had a 1941 when I was a kid. That was the only stick shift he owned, I never learned how. But the 1957 is an all time classic.