Challenges 1 – 3 of 27
Challenges W: 24 L: 3
- Super Snake: 20 pts (win)
- Phantom Stinger: 0 pts (loss)
- Total votes: 4
- Ended: Oct 6, 2012
- Motorsport: 19 pts (loss)
- Phantom Stinger: 26 pts (win)
- Total votes: 9
- Ended: Sep 9, 2012
- # 96: 28 pts (loss)
- Phantom Stinger: 42 pts (win)
- Total votes: 14
- Ended: Nov 23, 2011
1967 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Yenko Stinger Convertible (Phantom Stinger)
Last updated Sep 17, 2010
THIS IS A MODEL CAR AND IS ONLY OPEN TO CHALLENGES AGAINST OTHER MODEL CARS!
As a hobby I like to restore old model cars. I bought this one on eBay, and when I received it in the mail I found that it was rougher than I thought from the pictures in it's ad. There was a chunk of plastic missing at the base of the rear window that would be nearly impossible to repair... So I whacked the top off of it and made it into a convertible, figuring that a top boot would cover the damaged area! Well, mission accomplished - It worked out just like I'd planned.
Don Yenko got his start in the C.O.P.O. business in 1966 by building approx. 105 modified Corvair Corsas for road racing. He called these cars "Yenko Stingers". He built about 100 coupes and another 5 convertibles, although the exact number has been debated for years. These cars were all white with blue stripes and black interiors. In 1967, he built a further 10 coupes, based on the Monza series, since the Corsa had been discontinued. These cars were blue with white stripes and black interiors. There were no 1967 convertibles... until I built mine (in 1:25 scale, that is).
1:25 Scale AMT 1967 Corvair Monza Coupe annual kit.
Wood Steering Wheel
Telescopic Steering Column
164 C.I.D., 140 H.P. Super Turbo Air 6-Cylinder Engine
4-Speed Manual Transaxle
Quick Ratio Steering Box
Quick Shift Kit
Sound Deadener Delete
I cut the top off of the coupe body to transform the model into a convertible. The interior tub was cut down to remove the molded-in back seat and the rear floor area was finished to replicate the area beneath where the seat had been. The side trim panels were finished to appear as they would have had the seat not been cast in place. I added a scratchbuilt roll bar, sun visors, 3 auxiliary gauges, the turn signal lever, the parking brake handle under the dash, and the headlight dimmer button on the floor. The shift lever from the kit was badly out of scale, so I made my own using a small ball-headed straight pin. I also added full carpeting. I modified the engine by adding individual air cleaners to each of the 4 carburetors and adding such details as the throttle linkage, spark plug wires, battery cables, and dipstick. I added a latch and license plate light to the underside of the engine lid. The wheels and tires were replaced with a set of Minilites and Goodyear radials from my parts box. I added valve stems to the wheels for added realism
Permanent Link to this Car