You may have seen my comment on BADDAWG's blog post about challenges. What I'm doing here is summarizing the ideas we have heard so far about ways to improve challenges, so we can continue discussion on them. If we can identify some ideas that everyone thinks has potential, we can start new discussions to talk about them more in-depth. So, here we go:
* Put some restrictions on who can participate in challenges, such as you can’t participate in a challenge until you have voted on 25 challenges; if you want to challenge two cars, you have to have voted in at least 50 challenges; etc.
* Make it so you have to “opt in” to challenges instead of “opt out” like it is now when you add a vehicle to Motortopia. This may help the new members out by not having them get bombarded by challenge requests when they first sign up.
* Create “group challenges” where you must be a member of a group to participate in those challenges, and limit groups to 20 or 30 people. You have to prove you own your ride to join the group. You can only be in one group at a time, and if you leave a group you have to wait 30 days to join another. In essence, a special type of “challenge group” would be created on the site.
* Remove the challenge stats for people’s garages, so there are no win/loss records for anyone.
* Provide more options in voting -- assuming this means more than just “performance”, “style” and “overall”?
* Provide less options in voting -- you just choose one car or the other.
* implement a judging system, so there are official judges somehow involved in challenges.
* Add classes to challenges. You must classify your car, and you can only challenge other people in the same class maybe?
* Turn off comments on challenges
* Replace “head to head” challenges with something more like a car show, with classes, etc. Maybe a monthly “car show” where you enter one of your cars, in classes, just like a real-life car show, and there are people’s choice awards and official judges.
If I've missed any or there are any more ideas, please post them! Also, start discussing which ideas you think have some potential.
A Porsche will get you through periods of no women better than a woman will get you through periods of no Porsches. - somebody really wise.