Last updated Jan 1, 2010
1963 Volkswagen Single Cab truck. Built off the Type 2 Bus (station wagon) chassis, these little trucks were rated 3/4 ton and intended for work. With a 9' bed and under belly storage, this truck can carry quite a bit of cargo. Though it mainly sees light duty hauling today (notice the go kart in the bed).
Extensive work has been done to the truck's drivetrain. Extensive photos and comments can be found on my website (Single Cab page) at www.wardvwracer.com.
Engine now displaces 2332cc's and features the following:
- 84mm 4340 Forged crankshaft
- 12 lbs 200mm flywheel, 8-dowelled
- 5.500" 4340 Forged H-Beam connecting rods
- 94mm slipper-skirt pistons
- Cast iron cylinders
- Ported & Polished heads with 40x35.5 valves
- Engle FK8 camshaft with steel on steel straight cut gears
- CB Performance light weight lifters
- Berg (Schedek) 26mm HD oil pump
- Berg 3.5 quart wide racing oil sump
- Berg 1 5/8 merged header and custom Flowmaster muffler
- Dual Italian Weber 48 IDF carbs with 40mm venturis
- Berg Linkage
- German Bosch 009 Distributor with Pertronix Ignitor
- MSD 6A box, MSD Blaster coil, Taylor wires
- Genuine 73 VW Thing fan housing
Transmission is now an IRS unit and features the following:
- Weddle Super DIff
- Dual HD Aluminum side covers
- 3.80 / 2.06 / 1.32 / .93 gear ratios
- 4.125 ring/pinion
- Custom fabricated Datsun 510 half-shaft axles
The rear suspension was converted to IRS using 1972 Super Beetle swing arms and custom made spring plates.
None - very basic. Not even a radio.
Extensive engine work and transmission (see above). Other modifications include:
- Gene Berg Bus Shifter
- Autometer 10,000 rpm 3 3/8" tach
- Autometer pro light
- Original Mangel (sp?) 15x5.5 rims "chromies" with "nipple" hub caps.
- Dunlop 195 and 205 radials
Future plans include:
- Sea Blue and White 2-tone paint
- Wood slats in the rear bed
- Possibly a new set of Sprintstar rims from Flat 4
Permanent Link to this Car