Last updated Jan 2, 2010
Here's a picture of my first "second car". After making my yellow '70 Bug more of a street/strip car I needed something to get me to and from college and work. So I found this little '69 Bug.
When I bought the car it was in decent shape, but I cleaned it up and personalized it to my taste. I also built a decent engine for it and added new wheels and a stereo.
The car was awesome. It went anywhere! And did it quickly.
I built a decent "driver" engine for the car. The specs were as follows:
- Counterweighted 69mm crankshaft
- stock 311B connecting rods
- Web cam #218 (287 duration x .478" lift)
- Fred Simpson ported/polished 40x35.5 heads
- 9 to 1 compression
- Cima 90.5 pistons and cylinders
- Italian Weber 44 DCNF carbs
- Fourtuned 1 1/2" merged header with dual quiet packs
- Genuine VW 40hp fan shroud
- additional 8-pass oil cooler over the transmission
The car was easily a 15 second 1/4 car. Definitely quick enough for a "daily driver" car.
Originally equipped with an Autostick transmission, a conversion was done prior to my ownership.
Larger, more powerful engine, new interior, stereo system, Dino Shifter, Porsche 914 5.5" rear wheels matched to a pair of VW Sun Bug 4.5" front rims.
Permanent Link to this Car