Photos in the “Restoration of an old dealer sponsored race car.” Album
Description: Born a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT "Plum Crazy Purple" car equipped with a 340/275 hp motor, 904 transmission & a 8-3/4" rear end.
Life as a cruiser was short lived in the early 70's, soon it was seeing drag racing duties at local strips in the area of MN. As time passed the car has gone through difference stages of being updated to meet the demands of service as a race car.
This information should have been a WARNING SIGN that the parts could need replacement after years of hard service. As you view these pages you will find that what you look at and what you really have just purchased may not be the same. In this case I found that anything from major parts to the body parts were not as good a condition as thought.
Body Build Sheet:
• Sand blast underside to remove undercoating and rubber from years of racing.
• Repair floor pan and fill any holes before painting. Paint in POR-15 rust preventive paint on underside (purple).
• Repair and fill any holes in firewall and front fender inter panels, paint Plum Crazy purple.
• Add sheet metal firewall between passenger compartment & trunk per NHRA rules.
• Remove wiring, (2) dash panels, dome light w/switches, insulation, visors and rear view mirror.
• Install Painless circuit board mounted in the glove box for easy access.
• Install new dash panel with Autometer gauges and heater/radio panel with gauges.
• Replace window weather stripping.
• Straighten bezels and repair grill.
• Replace driver and passenger window crank assemblies with electric units.
• Remove quarter panel windows crank assemblies and fasten window.
• Replace all suspension rubber bushings with the new poly type bushings.
• Clean and paint the rear end, springs, k-member and associated parts in factory black.
• Install Schumaher torque bracket and strap.
• Mini tub rear wheel wells, move springs in and install Cal Tracs with Mono system.
• Rebuild steering box with new 16:1 ratio gear set.
• Replace floor pan if needed.
• Replace original gas tank with a 8 gallon fuel cell, battery box in the trunk.
• Install charging lugs and shut-off mounted on lower splash pan exhaust ports.
• Jeg’s racing bucket seats, new head liner, and carpet done in med. to dark gray.
• Aluminum radiator/electric fan assembly, separate transmission radiator/electric fan assembly.
• 8-3/4” rear equipped with Strange spool, Mark Williams caps & bolts, Super pro 4.88 grears, Moser axles.
Motor Build Sheet: [ 346 c.i. 530 plus HP @6500rpm ]
Block: Mopar “R3” race block with 2 bolt Billet caps.
Deck Height: 9.00”
Crank: Mopar steel
Rods: GRP aluminum rods, ARP 2000 cap screws
Pistons: JE forged, 13.2-1 comp. - .030 over - Tool steel pins.
Rings: C&A file fit
Oil Pan: Milodon 7 Qt
Oil Pump: Melling
Camshaft: Comp Cams #CRS 310C-R6
Lifters: Comp Cams roller lifters
Timing Chain: Gear drive
Timing Cover: Mopar
Water Pump: Moroso Electric
Head Gaskets: Fel Pro 1008
Cylinder Heads: Mopar W2 (ported & polished)
Valve Springs: Comp Cams
Retainers: CV Products Chrome Moly
Locks: CV Products Chrome Moly
Seals: Fel Pro 11/32” Rubber
Seat Cups: None
Rocker Arms: Comp Cams Pro S. Steel 1.5:1
Valve Covers: Mopar Cast Aluminum
Intake Manifold: Victor W2 Single Plane
Manifold Gaskets: Mr. Gasket Ultra seal
Carb. Adapter: Moroso 2”
Carburetor: B.G. Race Demon / 775 cfm w/slvs
Distributor: MSD Distributor / 6-AL ignition with 2 step system
3125 lb. w/o driver Bandimere's Speedway, Denver CO. - best ET 11.67 @ 116.48 MPH at 9,712 feet - corrected altitude.