In late 2005, I decided that I didn't want to subject my '66 Corvair daily driver to another winter of Pennsylvania road salt. Its floors had virtually no rust, just a little surface rust, and I wanted to keep it that way! GM was having one of its rebate promos, so I checked into how much a Cobalt would cost. The local dealers (I have three within 10 minutes!) all came in too high, but there was one about ten miles away that quoted me a price that was just too good to pass up. They pitched me the SS, with the equipment I wanted, cheaper than one of the other dealers quoted me on am LT!
I call it "Bud" because I'm a big NASCAR fan, especially the Earnhardts. Dale Earnhardt was, is, and always will be THE MAN! Dale, Jr. is currently my driver, because, after all, he is his father's son. Now, at the time, JR. drove a red Chevy SS with "Bud" painted across the hood. What else am I going to call MY red Chevy SS? (I have no plans to repaint it in his current colors!)
And for all you other NASCAR fans out there, I'm open to guesses as to what Bud's license plate "BOOG8Y 3" means.
This car was bought new by my father, then it was passed down to me. It started out as a stock restoration, now it's a custom sleeper that turns heads where ever it goes. I seem to attract ricers for some reason.
171 H.P. Dual Overhead Cam 4-cylinder.
0-60: About 7.5 seconds (official Timex wristwatch timing!)
Top Speed: I've had it up to an indicated 130, but I ran out of road. It still had some left in it.
TYPE 1, 1915cc, 4 cylinder, 140hp
1. C.W. Crankshaft forged DPR 8 dowel
2. AS41 (Brazilian) case opened to 94mm
3. German rebuilt connecting rods
4. Engle 120 camshaft (294° duration) with Norris racing lifters
5. Bugpack magnum straight cut cam gears
6. German forged reground flywheel 8" dowel
7. Gene Berg chromoly racing gland nut
8. 8mm chromoly head studs
9. 94mm Mahale pistons/cylinders with Grant rings.
10. 043 heads ported & polished with 42 x 37.5 stainless steel valves 3/8 chromoly push rods
11. Scat 1.25 ratio rockerarms
12. Stainless steel windage push rod tubes
13. OEM vented valve covers
14. Schadeck aluminum 26mm H.D. oil pump modified for full flow with K&N oil filter
15. Bosch 51 amp alternator
16. CB performance aluminum polished breather box
17. Kennedy stage 1 pressure plate with Dankin racing disk
18. Ceramic coated 1 5/8" merged header with stainless steel phat boy muffler
19. Dynamically balanced crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, pressure plate, and front pulley
20. 8.5:1 compression
21. BMD aluminum pulley system
22. Rancho prostreet transmission with 0.82 fourth gear, Hurst shifter
23. DTM fan shroud (aircooledtechnology.com)
24. Welded & balanced fan
25. Type 4 oil cooler
26. Brad Penn Racing Oil 10w-30
Fuel Delivery & Ignition:
27. Dual 44mm IDF Weber carburetor kit, 36 vent, F11 emulsion tubes, 52 idle, 165 air, 125 main
28. CB Performance crossbar linkage
29. Carter rotary electric fuel pump
30. Bosch 010 distributor (timed @29°)
31. Mallory Hyfire 6A Capacitive Discharge ignition system
32. Pertronix Flame Thrower II ignition coil (45,000 volts max)
33. Aurora 8.5mm silicone Super Mag Plus spark plug wires
34. NGK D6EA 12mm spark plugs, gapped to .040"
SS Equipment package.(includes 171 HP. Ecotec 4-cylinder Engine, 5-speed manual Transaxle, Sport Front and Rear Facia,
Power Windows and Door Locks, Body Color Rear-View Mirrors
Driving Lights, Remote Trunk Release, Carpeted Floor Mats, Multi-Function Trip Computer, 17" Polished Alloy Wheels, 4- Wheel Disc Brakes)
Victory Red paint.
Charcoal Leather interior.
AM/FM/XM Satellite/CD Stereo
Engine: 1600 Dual Port, Air Cooled, 57 hp
Transmission: 4 Speed Manual
Dealer installed AM Radio, Sapphire IX
Front disk brakes
VW Diagnostic Computer Port
None (Yet...) except a set of Falken tires - it used to corner well, now it handles like a go-kart!
I'm planning Silver Chevelle SS-style stripes and full window tint next summer.
-Aluminum Porsche 914 Rivera style wheels
-"The Conductor's Special" hidden air horn kit with compressor and tank (Hornblasters.com)
-Diamond style headlights with H4 Halogen 90/100 watt blue bulbs
-Chrome VW Type 3 tail lamp bulb holder
-Custom fiberglass center console and front speaker panels (vwinnovations.com)
-VDO Series 1 gauges (CHT, Oil Press, Oil Temp, Volts)
-Tech Edge Air/Fuel Ratio gauge - LA1
-Tech Edge Wideband Controller - 2J1
-Custom built tachometer
-TMI upholstry and panels
-Limited Editon '73 Sports Beetle steering wheel fitted with Wolfsburg horn button
-Sony CDX-F7715X AM/FM CD with XM receiver
-Alpine 300 Watt amp
-2 6 1/2" Kickers (front)
-2 6x9" Kickers (rear)
-2 12" Sony Xplod 1200W Subwoofers (rear)
-Custom made speaker box enclosure
-Custom decklid emblem
-Custom discontinued carbon fiber firewall (Airkewld.com)
-OEM Hella lenses
|Points for "Bud"||Total Votes||Points for The Snot Rocket|