MoFoMan’s Blog Posts 1 – 5 of 7
Engine rebuild and installation
Mar 22, 2009 | Views: 255
- 64 Galaxie work
- 12 photos
So, after several tries of trying to figure it out which Cruise-o-matic tranny I actually had, FX, MX, FM sheesh! The tag on the tranny was PCE-BP, which essentially equated to and MX or medium sized pan tranny. The difficulty that threw me off was the fact that the pan I have had 14 bolts, the cast iron casing had 15 holes. So it turns out either I have an aftermarket replacement pan or the extra hole was not used as it was right next to another one, which would have been redundant. So having figured out I had an MX, NAPA was able to set me up with a kit with a pan gasket, filter, o rings and shaft seal for about $16, installed, button up and ready to go
So on Saturday, my birthday, I decided to get the tranny connected back to the block. once done I had the predicament of it being to back heavy for the engine stand I made the ultimate decision it was time to put the whole thing back in the engine bay! Bad deicsion for two reasons, one my wife was ticked I decided to do this on my birthday with friends hanging out LOL and the other was it took several hours and lots of frustration.
Mounted the nice sanderson ceramic coated headers I bought. got the cherry picker setup and strapped to the engine. We pushed the Gal into the garage more and proceeded to hoist it way up, over the cowl and cranked the leveler to get the tailshaft down. I have to say this was the most frustrating part of car work I've ever been through, trying to get the engine down in, leveled not only front to back but side to side was a miserable experience with a 700-800 lb engine. trying not to crush or nick my headers as it got very tightand I managed a small nick in the front pipe of the header dang it! But after a lot of swearing, anger and frustrations the engine finally sat down on the engine mounts properly.
At that point we stopped. pushed the car into the garage and cleaned all the tools and put them away LOL
I need to level the engine side to side then secure the tranny mount bolts on the cross member and torque the motor mounts. I need to finish the cleanup and rebuild of the carbs, figure out how all the linkages go back together, get some vacuum lines and some plumbing.
I need to figure out who is going to do my exhaust, I'm thinking I want to go with a 2.5 in stainless pipe back to the MagnaFlow/Flowmaster or Dynamax mufflers and out to the tail pipes, I haven't figured out where I want the tailpipes to exit yet, I have three to four choices in mind. Just before the rear tires, right behind the rear tires, outer corners under the bumper or straight out the back with slash cut turndowns, any one reading this have suggestions or a choice let me know in your comments
More later, will update once I get the engine ready to start. I've posted 5 or so more pictures of the recent engine readiness and installation. If you noticed the overall color theme for the car is Black and Silver.
Permanent Link to this Blog Post:
Download Drive Magazine Now!