Motortopia: Where your passion parks

Motortopia: Where your passion parks.

Why Join Motortopia? Connect with other enthusiasts... Chat! Add Friends! Challenge! Private Message!

  1. cars
  2. bikes
  3. boats
  4. planes

Cars > TomHughes’s Garage > Blog > 1963 Chevrolet Corvair (Lucy) > My First Day at the Track


TomHughes’s Profile Photo


M –56
Baltimore, Maryland
United States


TomHughes’s Blog Posts 1 – 5 of 142

My Blogsite
Sun Oct 4, 2009  |  comment
My BeaveRun Experience
Mon Jun 1, 2009  |  comment
Track Day At BeaveRun
Wed May 27, 2009  |  comment
Front Suspension Swap
Wed May 27, 2009  |  comment
Carburetor Jet Relocation
Wed May 27, 2009  |  comment

View Blog

My First Day at the Track

By TomHughes

Filed under: 1963 Chevrolet Corvair (Lucy)

Related photos

The day went as follows for me: I was the second person to arrive at the paddock after passing through the front gate at 7 AM sharp. The first hurdle was to pass tech inspection and I did. I had to really crank on the wingnuts of the battery hold-down and my rear shocks are marginal, but I got my sticker. The second hurdle was not wadding up the car which I succeeded in doing by staying on-track the entire day. Maybe I wasn’t driving hard enough, but I did have at least a half a dozen “exciting” moments where I was doing some extra steering and at least twice I used then entire track at the end of the main straightaway (suffice it to say I seriously missed my turn-in point). The way the track portion of the day went was as follows: 3 groups of ~13 cars each (divided by expected lap speed) each ran the track for 20 minutes; then open track until noon; 30 minute lunch break for the corner workers; open track until 1:30; 2 cars at a time (matched by speed) on the track for warmup and two timed hot laps; open track until 4:30; parade laps where anyone could drive around and take passengers. The organizers came by at the end of the day and told me they felt I was the driver that spent the most time out on the track. How did my car run? She drove to the track without issue. There were nineteen total turns, three of which are hairpins. After each hairpin she had a fuel starvation issue – I’d floor it and she’d bog down for a moment before coming up to full strength. That was annoying. By the afternoon (right before the timed laps), the fuel starvation was more of an issue – she was missing during the two straightaways as well. My two laps could have been better because of that, but I’m taking pride in the fact that there was only a half-second difference between the two. Out of the times that were posted when I checked that was most consistent pari of laps. I went out during the last open session and the miss was a little worse. Since I still had an hour-and-a-half drive home, I decided (very sadly) to call it a day. I did take Jonathan for a ride around the track during parade laps so he could locate his magnetic door number that had blown off on the main straightaway. Hurdle number three was making it home, and that wasn't pleasant because of the missing. I had to floor it to keep up to speed on any hill. I'm driving the '61 Monza to work.

Log in to post comments.

Read comments on this blog post

No comments have been posted on this blog post.


Cars > TomHughes’s Garage > Blog > 1963 Chevrolet Corvair (Lucy) > My First Day at the Track

Print your passion at (