Challenges 1 – 3 of 9
Challenges W: 5 L: 4
- BLUEDEMON: 26 pts (win)
- Blue: 14 pts (loss)
- Total votes: 8
- Ended: Jan 8, 2010
- Cabriolet: 15 pts (loss)
- Blue: 35 pts (win)
- Total votes: 10
- Ended: Jan 7, 2010
- Black Betty: 20 pts (loss)
- Blue: 50 pts (win)
- Total votes: 14
- Ended: Dec 23, 2009
1964 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe (Blue)
Last updated Jan 1, 2013
Here's my 1964 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia coupe. Its a three owner car with complete documentation that includes the original invoice, sales order, salesman's business card, window sticker and more.
I've removed some of the original parts for a future restoration back to stock. I plan to do a complete restoration, but for now I'm having fun going fast.
The current engine displaces 2054cc's. Best recorded elasped time in the quarter mile is 13.055 @ 104mph with a "line-lok" delayed 1.79 60' time. The car now 60 ft's in the 1.5 range making this combo a solid 12.8's car.
Displacement: 2054 cc's
- 74mm Tony Mance Welded Stroker Crankshaft
- wedgemated, 12 lbs 200mm flywheel
- Scat 5.400" I-Beam connecting rods
- Mahle 94mm Pistons and Cylinders
- Vintage (original) Lonnie Reed Wedge Port cylinder heads.
42x37.5 valves, dual springs, 10.9 to 1 Compression
- Engle FK10 cam (310 adv. degrees duration x .540" valve lift with 1.4 Autocraft ratio rockers).
- Steel on steel straight cut cam gears
- Italian Weber 48 IDA carbs, 42mm venturis
- Gene Berg 1 3/4" merged header with custom 2 1/2"
- Full MSD Ignition, 2-step, 6AL box, billet distributor, blaster
coil, MSD plug wires.
- Custom-fabricated VW 40hp fan housing converted to a
later model dog house cooler set up.
This engine combo was built for the street. Future plans are to reassemble the Beetle's street/strip combo which displaces 2332cc's. With higher compression, bigger carbs, and a cam change, the combo should produce about 240hp. This larger and more powerful engine should propell the Ghia into 11 second quarter mile times.
Visit my website for further details at http://www.wardvwracer.com
According to the original invoice the dealer-installed options included:
- AM Radio
- radio antenna
- white wall tires
Many throughout... Majority of the modifications are in the drivetrain with a close ratio transmission and highly modified VW engine.
Permanent Link to this Car