Filed under: 1963 Chevrolet Corvair (Lucy)

Filtered Content: This photo may not be appropriate for work.

Sometime during the track day, my ’63 Corvair developed a fuel issue. It felt like something was clogging the carburetors. I made it home from Summit Point, but had to floor it to keep up to speed on any sort of hill. I got out to the garage Friday night and diagnosed that the right side of the engine was not up to power. I pulled apart that side’s carburetor and blew out all the passages and put it back together. After reassembly, the engine new run’s like a top again. Once out on the street, I noticed a grinding noise from the rear brakes. I put the car up on jackstands and pulled the rear hubs and found one of the shoes had lost most of its lining. I replaced the bad shoe and took the opportunity to replace the ’63 drums with the upgraded finned drums from the ’64 I parted out. After adjusting the star wheels to get the right clearance the brakes are good-to-go. With the car off the ground, I resinstalled the thermostats and bottom engine shrouds so I now have heat again.