Richmond (in the southeast corner of Ottawa) was selected by the British Army in 1818 as the site for the area’s first military settlement. Named after the Duke of Richmond, who was the newly appointed Governor General of Upper Canada, the village of Richmond was laid out in a grid on the north bank of the Jock River. Richmond was the centre for the administration of lands in the area. Military supervisor, Major Burke, placed mainly Irish soldiers of his 99th Regiment in Richmond, and Scottish settlers from Perthshire, and Irish civilians, in parts of neighbouring townships.
Although dampened by rain at about noon, many interesting cars were on display.