Last updated Jan 19, 2009
This 1961 pickup truck was my father's truck. He drove it daily for many years until it got hit, and then began to have a few problems. At that point he put it in a shed in Wisconsin and it was basically forgotten and left to rot. The property where the truck was "stored" was sold and the new owners found my dad's name/phone number in the glove box as they were getting ready to crush it. They called us and we went up 2 weeks later to pick it up. I have now been working on and off for the last 2.5-3 years rebuilding bits and parts as I get Time Money and Ambition. (you need all 3 at the same time to get anything done) I have rebuilt the motor, swapped transmissions to make it a manual, bought another truck for parts, installed dual master cylinder brakes, and I am now working on retrofitting a hydraulic clutch. In the process I have lived in 4 different states, and been stationed at 3 different bases, been to a foreign country, gone to 4 schools, and had 3 different primary jobs.
I decided to call her Bessie because most people say shes ugly, slow, old, and needs to be towed to go anywhere. I don't care what they say, I'd give my left lugnut to drive something like that!
Most of this truck is completely stock, just not from a Corvair truck. Some are car parts (engine/trans/diff), some things are from different years. Some parts are just missing(floor, gas tank, left side of the truck bed)
Dual Master Cylinder Brakes, Working on modding a hydraulic clutch which is nearly complete, seat is new (just not installed until paint/body is complete)
Permanent Link to this Car
Jan 18, 2009
Well, it's been a long time since I made any real progress on Bessie. Today I changed all of that. With the help of a few friends, and a very very old and worn out band saw, I finally finished the fabrication of the bracket that I need for the hydraulic...
Sep 14, 2008
Today I painted and Installed the parts for the slave cylinder for my hydraulic clutch. It took a little fabricating and creative (redneck) engineering, but it is done. Next is setting up the master cylinder and running the lines. I am hoping that I will...